Attitudes to dictionaries and the written word

I've written a new blog post, but it's not here. So if you're interested in thinking about whether dictionaries (and the written word in general) play different roles in the US and UK, then follow this link to OxfordWords, the Oxford dictionaries blog.

Also, as long as I'm here, I've got another springtime talk to add to the list I gave last time. On Tuesday 11 March, I'll be speaking on Sussex University campus as a part of One-World Week on cross-cultural politeness (especially US/UK, but I'd expect we'll go beyond that).  Information here.

And I might as well also mention that we've got a new blog for announcing events put on by Sussex linguists.  So, if you're in the Brighton area and care about these things, have a look at
sussexlinguists.blogspot.co.uk  (though there's not much on there yet.  More to come!).


2 comments

  1. Thank you for posting this.
    I would be interested in watching the cross-cultural politeness talk on video, as the link indicates ... I hope you will let us know if it becomes available online after 11 March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne,

    Thank you so much for the lecture on English and American greetings and the differences between the two cultures.(On You Tube).

    As an English person I lived in the USA for twenty years but could never find the right words to explain to English people the differences between the two countries,and the manner when greeting each other.

    Your lecture rocks!

    Keep up the good work, you are so informative,that way people get to understand one another, it's perfect, and extremely valuable when learning about the differences between two nations.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete

The book!

View by topic

Twitter

Abbr.

AmE = American English
BrE = British English
OED = Oxford English Dictionary (online)