rutabaga update!

Previously, I'd wondered why the most English of English condiments, Branston Pickle, included the American word rutabaga on their ingredients list. I e-mailed Customer Service at Premier Foods with this question, suggesting that they might be trying to hide the fact that Branston Pickle includes swede (or Swedish turnip--BrE for rutabaga). They have responded--yes, indeed that's the reason. Swede is not a popular vegetable. They have, however, pointed out that swedes are also called rutabaga in French, and that might be the more immediate source of the word in the ingredients list, rather than American English.

4 comments

  1. Love your blog!

    Not rutabaga-related, but I don't see an e-mail link: What do you make of the Telegraph article " You talkin' to me?"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting (and long!) article--according to the site I went to it was posted four days after today. (?) Perhaps it's to appear in the next Sunday magazine.

    Too much to reply to here--I'll try to touch on it later in a proper post. I generally thought its points were valid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the off-chance anybody else is following this 13 years later, that article can now be found at: You talkin' to me?.

    (At some point The Telegraph re-arranged how they do URLs, and didn't bother to put redirects in from the old to the new ones.)

    ReplyDelete

The book!

View by topic

Twitter

Abbr.

AmE = American English
BrE = British English
OED = Oxford English Dictionary (online)