Separated by a Common Twitter competition

I've just announced (in several <140 character parts) a competition over on the Twitter feed.

Here's what I tweeted (with added linkage for you blog-based readers):

-----------------
Competition: RT to me a tweet (not by u) that is (unintentionally) so full of Americanisms or Briticisms that it would flummox a UKer/USer.

The prize: I'll send you a packet of whatever cookies/biscuits you most miss from UK or US.

My entry to competition: RT @Nancy4Brighton...the Speaker has interrupted PMQs to ask MPs to stop 'barracking' - it puts the public off...

Competition deadline: midnight Greenwich time, Friday.

--------------

Obviously, the intended audience for this competition is expatriates who are missing their baked goodies, but if you'd like me to use the post to send you some biscuits/cookies that you could buy at your local shop/store if only you weren't too internet-addicted to get out of your chair, well, I can do that too.

(The plan is to buy biscuits/cookies in one country, carry them to other country and post locally...so while I will try to send you biscuits/cookies, I cannot guarantee that you won't get a package full of ex-biscuits/cookies, aka crumbs.)

I'll post winning entries on the blog this weekend.

6 comments

  1. Is that midnight 00:00 or 24:00?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more puzzled by the term RT. What's that mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that would be McVities Rich Tea Biscuits. But, I don't use Twitter, so I don't get anyone's tweets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Robbie RT is tweet-speak for "Re-Tweet." It's basically copying someone else's twitter post (or "tweet").

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, good point, Tony Finch. I'd meant end of Friday, but that's not what I said, is it? Oh well, I'll leave things open till end of Friday, and if people get their entries in earlier, then good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Amy! I broadly picked up the meaning from context, but always nice to know what the letters stand for!

    ReplyDelete

The book!

View by topic

Twitter

Abbr.

AmE = American English
BrE = British English
OED = Oxford English Dictionary (online)