analogous

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I notice things. One thing I’ve noticed is that no one seems to be able to agree with anyone else without saying 100%. That cliché seems to have caught on in both UK and US, so that’s not the topic of this blog post. This blog post is about another thing I’ve noticed: an apparent change in the British pronunciation of analogous.

 

Dictionaries give the pronunciation as /əˈnaləɡəs/ (or similar; all dictionary pronunciations here from the OED). That is to say, the stress is on the second syllable and the ‘g’ is pronounced ‘hard’ as in analog(ue). What I’ve been noticing in BrE speakers is a non-dictionary pronunciation, /əˈnaləʤəs/, which is to say with a ‘soft g’ as in analogy.

 

To see how common this pronunciation is, I looked to YouGlish, which finds a word in YouTube videos (using the automatic transcription), classifies them by country, and presents them so that you can listen to that word pronounced by lots of people in lots of contexts. The automati{s/z}ation means that it makes mistakes. I wanted to listen to the first ten pronunciations in US and UK, but had to listen to 12 in the ‘UK’ category to get ten that were both British and the right word.

screenshot from examplesof.net 

 

The first British one had a pronunciation that I hadn’t heard before: /əˈnaləɡjuəs/, as if the spelling were analoguous. Half (five) of the British ten had the hard ‘g’ pronunciation, four had the soft-g pronunciation I’d been hearing, as if the spelling is analogious (or analogeous). All of the first 10 US ones said /əˈnaləɡəs/.

 

The word analogous seems to be more common in AmE. There are 2433 examples of it on US YouGlish, versus 147 examples tagged-as-UK. (The US population is about five times larger than UK’s, and Americans might post videos to YouTube at a higher rate than Britons. So while that’s a very big numerical difference, it doesn’t mean Americans say it16 times more than the British.) That’s in speech. In writing, there’s about twice as much American analogous in the News on the Web corpus:

 



 

So, Americans have presumably heard the word more than Britons have, leading to a more uniform pronunciation.

 

Now, when people know a word more from reading it than from hearing it, we might expect that they will rely on the spelling to know how it sounds. What’s a bit odd here is that the non-dictionary pronunciations contradict the spelling. Perhaps some people who know the word from print have not fully noticed that the spelling is -gous and think it’s -gious. Or perhaps they’re deriving the word anew from their knowledge of other members of that word-family.

 

            Analog(ue) = /ˈanəl*ɡ/  +  -ous = analogous /əˈnaləɡəs/  [dictionary]

            (* different vowels: AmE [ɔ] or [ɑ] & BrE [ɒ])

 

            Analogy = /əˈn*lədʒi/   +  -ous  =  analogious >  /əˈnaləʤəs/ [non-dictionary]

            (* different vowels: AmE [æ] & BrE [a])

 

            Analogu(e) + /ˈanəl*ɡ/ + ous  =  analoguous  > /əˈnaləɡjuəs/ [non-dictionary]

 

 

In the last case, the ‘u’ that is silent in analogue is treated as if it’s ‘really there’ and pronounced in the extended form. This sometimes happens with ‘silent’ final consonants and suffixes. Think of how the ‘silent n’ in damn and autumn are pronounced in damnation and autumnal. This is a bit different, since it’s a vowel, and I can’t think of another example where a silent final ue does the same thing. We don’t go from critique to critiqual (it’s critical) and tonguelet is not pronounced tun-gu-let or tung-u-let: the u remains silent.

 

When I tweeted (or skeeted or something) about the soft-g analogous pronunciation, some respondents supposed that the -gous ending is not found in other words, and therefore unfamiliar. (One said they could only think of humongous, which seems like a jokey word). It is true that analogous is the most common -gous word, but the OED lists 153 others, most of them fairly technical terms like homologous, tautologous, homozygous, and polyphagous. There are fewer -gious words (83), but they’re much more common words: religious, prestigious, contagious, etc. The relative frequency of -gious endings versus -gous endings may have contagiously spread to analogous.

 

But there’s something to notice about contagious and its -gious kin and analogous and its -gous mates. The main stress in a word like contagious is in the syllable just before the -gious, i.e. the penultimate syllable (/kənˈteɪdʒəs/, religious = /rᵻˈlɪdʒəs/, prestigious = BrE /prɛˈstɪdʒəs/ and AmE /prɛˈstidʒəs/ ). (English stress patterns are often best described by counting syllables from the back of the word.) The main stress in analogous is not on the penultimate syllable, but on the one before (the antepenult). That is, we say aNAlogous not anaLOgous, no matter how we pronounce the ‘g’. If soft-g analogous was surmised from (mis)reading rather than hearing the word, and if it was following the model of words like contagious, we’d expect it to be pronounced anaLOdʒous, with some sort of O sound as a stressed vowel. That's not what's happening.


(One way to think of this is that there’s a general pattern that long -ous­ words are stressed on the antepenultimate syllable, but only if we think of the ‘i’ in -gious words as a syllable of its own, which gets elided after the stress pattern has been set. There’s way more to explain about that than I can do in a blog post…and I am relying on decades-old phonology education here.)

 

Now, I am not a phonologist or a morphologist, so I asked my former colleague and friend Max Wheeler to check my reasoning here. He's OK'd it and adds:

To make your argument another way, while -gous is unusual, '-jous' after an unstressed vowel is unparalleled.
[...] analogy is quite a common word, while analogous is much rarer (and people may not readily connect semantically to analog(ue)). Even people with a literary education are unfamiliar with the /g/ - /j/ alternation, so 'mispronounce' fungi, pedagogy, as well as analogous, taking no guidance from the spelling. The phoneme from the more frequent word-form wins.


The moral of the story: soft-g analogous is a bit weird—which is to say, a bit interesting.

 


 

If you liked this post, you might like:

-og and -ogue

-ousness

conflab




 

26 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Even people with a literary education are unfamiliar with the /g/ - /j/ alternation

      This is literally something taught to beginning readers if you're using anything even remotely approaching phonics, so....

      Delete
    2. David Marjanović31 August, 2024 15:31

      Tens of millions of people were not taught anything like that. Instead, they were taught to recognize words like Chinese characters. This is one result of that.

      Delete
    3. Replying to Anonymous's reply: By alternation I meant morphological alternation, between allomorphs where /g/ alternates with /ʤ/. Do beginning readers come across fungi, pedagogy, analogous these days?

      Delete
  2. This was a fascinating read, thank you! I was amused at the unexpected confirmation of how, er, idiomatic my idiolect is - analogous (hard g) and tautologous both appear regularly therein . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 66 year old brought up in SE England. I definitely use the əˈnaləʤəs pronunciation and I don't remember ever noticing anybody use the other pronunciation. The only one from your list of similar words that I think I've ever had occasion to say aloud is tautologous and again I use the -əʤəs pronunciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here

      Delete
    2. Yep. And I don't consider analogous a particularly unusual word. More frequent, certainly, than homologous (which I pronounce with a hard g) and tautologous (soft) - both of which I read sometimes although say rarely.

      Delete
  4. Having read your UK "I've heard all of these" options, I honestly didn't know which one I used, they all sounded OK to me. But, by academic training I'm a biologist. Although genetics was not my field, homozygous and heterozygous were definitely a pretty common part of my written and spoken lexicon for a number of years, and they're both with the hard g all the time. I think analogous with the hard g would be my default, just because I'm so used to that sound at the end of other words that I use(d) far more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many of the UK examples were from Simon Whistler though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The number of times I've wished YouGlish had a 'remove Simon Whistler' option...

      Delete
  6. Always the hard 'g' for me. Don't think I've heard other pronunciations.

    Incidentally, on the matter of pronunciations, I was intrigued to hear a newsreader on BBC Radio 3 last week referring to the stricken yacht, the Bayesian, and pronouncing it b-YES-ian. The name is derived from the Bayes theorem, formulated by the British clergyman and mathematician, Thomas Bayes, and is pronounced bay-zian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pronounce it /ˈbeɪʒən/, and apparently I'm not alone, as this pronunciation is listed alongside yours in Wiktionary.

      Delete
  7. You mentioned "tautologous" as an example of another "-gous" word. I'm a Brit and have only ever, as far as I'm aware, heard it pronounced with a soft rather than a hard "g". Interestingly, YouGlish gives two examples, one from a UK and one from a US speaker, and both have a soft "g": https://youglish.com/pronounce/tautologous/english

    ReplyDelete
  8. I (BrE, elderly, Southern) realise I have absolutely no idea how I pronounce it - both sound wrong when I say them! But I agree, "tautologous" has, in my dialect, a soft "g". I think "analogous" probably does, but I woudln't swear to it. It's one of those words I read rather than use!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was rather surprised by your writing 'automati{s/z}ation'. Both I (UK) and my wife (US) would use 'automation', although I see that automatize or -ise do appear in Collins' dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I (BrE, elderly, Midlands) would definitely pronounce 'analogous' with a hard 'g'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pronunciation /əˈnælədʒəs/ has been in John Wells's Longman Pronunciation Dictionary ever since its first edition (1990, p. 25), which suggests that this is not a new trend but a variant that was already being used--in Britain at least--in the second half of the 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The interesting question, to me, is how the technical term pharyngeal ended up not only pronounced that way but spelled accordingly. There's no etymological e or i in it*, and the French and German form is pharyngal as expected.

    * The plural of pharynx is pharynges, but that... never occurs, does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Marjanović31 August, 2024 15:43

      argh, didn't mean to be anonymous

      Delete
    2. Larynx - laryngeal goes the same, at least. What is the adjective derived from phalanx?

      Delete
    3. phalangeal - meaning of or derived from the fingers - phalanx for the military formation is a metaphor

      Delete
  13. As to your initial point about people saying "100" when they agree, a more frequent issue I have is with (American) retail providers saying "perfect" at some point, no matter what I have done. Ordered the filet of sole? Perfect! Gave $5 for a $4.19 purchase? Perfect! I am trying to resist pointing out that $5 is not in fact exact change and so is clearly not "perfect." Thank you for listening.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally off topic, but waitstaff saying "perfect" lots of times as an acknowledgement of what the customer is saying has also become common in Southern England. I try very hard not to be irritated by it, but don't always succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And in case anyone cares, I'm another British person who has no preference between a hard or soft 'g' in 'analogous'. Unhelpfully, either sounds fine to me.

    ReplyDelete

The book!

View by topic

Twitter

Abbr.

AmE = American English
BrE = British English
OED = Oxford English Dictionary (online)